blog header

blog header

Tuesday 16 August 2011

A colour test

Vinnie has become a guinea pig again.... that is to say I have been trying out a colour scheme on my big-headed Fimmboy. Now my favourite Fimir paintjob I've seen to date is this bad boy:
Sadly I can't remember where I got the pic from. Now, Vinnie is a lot smaller than this noble figure, despite his enormous head, and so I wasn't expecting to be able to squeeze as much detail in, but this was the result...
  

What has been bothering me is the vibrancy of Vinnie's skin, which seems a lot warmer orange that mr big Fimir's. It's also too close to the colouration of the humans in my army. Now I'm prepared to let Vinnie rest because I'm not too displeased with it, and I want some tonal variation in the army anyway, with some figures running towards green and some more brown, but I'd like to get my main palette closer to the lovely specimen of Fimirhood above. Any suggestions anyone?
Here's what I'm doing for the flesh so far:
Spray undercoat black
Lightly spray white over to pick up highlight areas, leaving recesses dark
Paint with watered-down mix of game colours leather brown, rosy flesh, flesh wash (I think it's the flesh wash probably that makes it too orange). I don't use citadel colour since I find them too gloopy, game colour seems a better mix straight from the pot.
Wash with sepia
Highlight with the original shade
Highlight with original shade plus more rosy flesh
Final highlights with rosy flesh and dead white

Also, any advice anyone has on blending highlights in? I tend to work with a seperate, damp paintbrush immediately after applying the highlight, but still find it dries quicker than I'd like.

I will have that Golden Daemon standard entire army... some day!

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fimm McCool's

Fimm McCool's